Holiday Calendar Yarn Box 2023: Creativity Box!
This is Purl's 2nd annual Limited Edition Holiday Yarn Box. A box that you pre-order and then we deliver (or you pick up locally) on or before Nov. 30.
This year’s holiday yarn box is inspired by the creative community of Black Mountain College (BMC). Though only open for 24 years (1933-1957), BMC greatly impacted design education in America and nurtured some of our most influential designers, artists, and creative thinkers. Though it’s usually the white men that we hear about (Buckminster Fuller, Willem deKooning, Robert Rauschenberg, Merce Cunningham, Josef Albers, John Cage, etc.), an amazing number of women, including some non-white women, were major leaders, participants, and collaborators in the BMC creative community. For every male artist, there was at least one female artist (and not just artist spouses like Elaine de Kooning and Anni Albers) redefining the creative process alongside her BMC cohorts. This year’s Holiday yarn box will include opportunities to learn about some of these amazing women artists, their stories and art, and also their impact on some contemporary artists today, including some amazing fiber artists! Each daily package will also include invitations for you to lean into your own creative energy.
This year's box will have the following juicy items enclosed:
- 24 hand-dyed mini or micro sock yarn skeins (your choice)
individually wrapped and numbered for you to open daily (or all at once!). The jewel-tone palette will transform over the 24 days in response to the themes shared about the culture of creativity at Black Mountain College.
* Micro skeins are 10 grams/46 yards each (75% superwash merino/25% nylon)
* Mini skeins are 20 grams/92 yards each (75% superwash merino/25% nylon)
- 24 mini booklets exploring an artist with links to more to explore online as well as an “Invitation to Creativity” going beyond your knitting or crochet project.
- 1 full skein of fingering weight yarn in black to nicely contrast/ "frame" your creation(s)
- A journal for collecting your creative journey
- a QR code to a web landing page where you can find more links to discovery as well as a private online space where we can share our creative journeys together!
- 1 creativity-themed project bag handmade by Elizabeth
- other goodies and supplies to inspire your creativity journey
- suggested pattern ideas to use mini or micro skeins
- all in a reusable box and festive packaging
Pre-orders begin Tuesday, May 9 (first day of the WNC Yarn Crawl). Order by May 31 for a lower rate of $200 for mini skein box; $125 for micro skein box.
Orders made after May 31: $225 for mini skein box; $150 for micro skein box.
Orders will CLOSE once we reach 24 total box orders or end of June (whichever comes first!)
**Reminder that this is PRE-ORDER. Delivery (or pickup) will be in November.
Makes a great gift for your creative yarny friend....or YOURSELF!